CBD oil is a natural substance that comes from the hemp plant. It has been shown to have numerous health benefits, including reducing pain and inflammation, easing anxiety and depression symptoms, fighting cancer cells, and even helping people with sleep issues.
However, there are some possible risks linked with taking CBD oil. In this article, we’ll look in-depth at what happens if you take too much of it.
Understanding the Effects of CBD Oil on the Body
A few factors can affect how much CBD oil you need to take. First, the concentration of CBD in your product will determine how much you’ll need to consume.
Second, your weight and height matter when determining dosage amounts because they’ll impact how quickly your body absorbs the cannabinoids into its system.
Lastly, some people have more sensitive systems than others. This means that even though someone might take less than another person does in terms of dosage amounts or frequency of use over time (i.e., daily vs. weekly), they could still experience negative side effects due to their sensitivity level being higher than average.
Potential Risks of Taking Too Much CBD Oil
Taking too much CBD oil can have potential risks and side effects like any other supplement or medication. Here are some potential risks of taking too much CBD oil:
- Dry mouth. Taking excessive CBD oil can lead to dry mouth, also known as cottonmouth. It occurs because CBD can inhibit saliva production, leading to a dry and uncomfortable sensation in the mouth.
- Low blood pressure. CBD oil can lead to a temporary drop in blood pressure, especially when taken in higher doses. Low blood pressure can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, and fainting, particularly in individuals with low blood pressure.
- Increased liver enzymes. Some studies have suggested that taking too much CBD oil can increase liver enzymes, which can be a sign of liver damage. This is particularly concerning for individuals with liver problems or taking medications that can affect liver function.
- Drowsiness. CBD oil can have a calming effect on the body, which can lead to drowsiness and fatigue, especially when taken in large quantities. Drowsiness can be dangerous, particularly if you need to operate heavy machinery or drive a vehicle.
- Interactions with other medications. CBD oil can interact with other medications, including blood thinners, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety medications. This can lead to potentially dangerous side effects and should be discussed with a healthcare provider before taking CBD oil.
- Digestive issues. Some individuals may experience digestive issues such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea when taking too much CBD oil. The symptoms can be particularly concerning for individuals with gastrointestinal issues or taking medications that can affect digestion.
How Much CBD Oil is Too Much?
The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the individual’s weight, metabolism, and the concentration of CBD in the product they are using.
As a general rule, starting with a low dose and gradually increasing it until the desired effects are achieved is recommended.
According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, daily doses of CBD up to 1500mg per day were well-tolerated by healthy individuals. However, it is important to note that this dose is significantly higher than what is typically recommended for most people.
Common Side Effects of CBD Oil Overdose
Here are some of the most common side effects of CBD oil overdose:
- Nausea. Some individuals may experience nausea or vomiting when taking too much CBD oil, which can be uncomfortable and interfere with daily activities.
- Diarrhea. CBD oil can affect the digestive system and cause diarrhea or other gastrointestinal issues when taken excessively.
- Lightheadedness. Overdosing on CBD oil can lead to a temporary drop in blood pressure, which can cause dizziness or lightheadedness.
- Headaches. Some people may experience headaches or migraines when taking too much CBD oil. This can be a sign that the dosage is too high or that the individual is sensitive to the effects of CBD.
- Agitation. In some cases, taking too much CBD oil can cause feelings of restlessness or agitation. This can be uncomfortable and may interfere with daily activities.
Managing CBD Oil Overdose Symptoms
If you suspect that you have taken too much CBD oil and are experiencing side effects, there are some steps you can take to manage the symptoms. Here are some ways to manage CBD oil overdose symptoms:
Consume plenty of water
Consuming plenty of water can help to alleviate this symptom and keep you hydrated.
Additionally, drinking water can help to flush any excess CBD oil out of your system and reduce the severity of other side effects.
Consume nutritious foods
Eating a nutritious, balanced diet can help to support your body and reduce the severity of CBD oil overdose symptoms.
Focus on consuming whole foods rich in vitamins and minerals, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid processed or sugary foods, which can exacerbate symptoms and lead to further health problems.
Get plenty of sleep
If you are feeling tired or lethargic, it is important to prioritize getting enough sleep. Aim for at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night and establish a consistent sleep habit to aid in the regulation of your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle. Additionally, avoid caffeine and other stimulants that can interfere with sleep.
When to Seek Medical Attention for CBD Oil Overdose
While CBD oil is generally safe and well-tolerated, too much can lead to overdose symptoms that may require medical attention. Here are some signs that you should seek medical attention for a CBD oil overdose:
- Severe or worsening symptoms. It is important to seek medical once you experience severe or worsening symptoms despite attempting to manage them at home. This is especially true if you are experiencing symptoms such as difficulty breathing, chest pain, or seizures.
- Allergic reaction. In rare cases, individuals may have an allergic reaction to CBD oil that can cause serious telling signs like difficulty breathing, swelling, or hives. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
- Underlying health conditions. Taking too much CBD oil can exacerbate these conditions and lead to serious health complications if you have underlying health conditions such as heart disease or liver disease. It is important to seek medical attention if you have concerns about how CBD oil may interact with your existing health conditions.
- Concerns about drug interactions. CBD oil can interact with some medications, including blood thinners and anti-seizure medications. If you take any medications and are concerned about how they may interact with CBD oil, speak with your doctor or a medical professional.
- Persistent symptoms. If you are dealing with persistent symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea that do not improve with home care, seek medical attention. These symptoms can lead to dehydration and other health complications if left untreated.
Tips for Safe CBD Oil Use and Dosage
Using CBD oil safely and effectively is important to avoid side effects and ensure maximum benefits. Here are some tips for safe CBD oil use and dosage:
Begin by using a small dose
When first using CBD oil, it is important to begin with a small dose and gradually increase it as needed.
This approach helps to reduce the risk of side effects and allows your body to adjust to the effects of CBD.
Record your dosages and symptoms
Keeping track of your dosages and symptoms can help you better understand how CBD oil affects your body and make adjustments as needed.
Keep a journal or log of how much CBD oil you take, when you take it, and any symptoms or side effects you experience. This information can be helpful when working with a healthcare provider or determining the best dosage for your needs.
Read the dosage guidelines and product instructions
Different CBD oil products may have different dosage guidelines and instructions for use. It is important to read the label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to use the product safely and effectively.
This information can also help you to determine the correct dosage for your needs and avoid overdosing.
Combine CBD with other health techniques
While CBD oil can be helpful for various health conditions, combining its use with other healthy lifestyle practices is important.
This may include regular exercise, a healthy diet, stress-reduction techniques such as mindfulness or meditation, and other complementary therapies such as acupuncture or massage.
Combining these approaches can help maximize CBD oil’s benefits and support overall health and wellness.
Maximize the Benefits and Minimize the Side Effects
CBD oil has many potential health benefits and is considered safe in proper doses. However, too much CBD oil can lead to unpleasant side effects, including nausea, fatigue, and diarrhea.
It’s important to always follow recommended dosages and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about using CBD oil.
By practicing caution and moderation, you can safely enjoy the potential benefits of CBD oil without any negative consequences.
Our goal at Atmos CBD is to offer upscale, top-notch CBD products at competitive prices. Plus, the welfare of our customers comes first above all else.
Because of this, our products are put through stringent third-party testing and created using the best raw materials currently on the market. Contact us today to know more about our products.